Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Thrice in Orlando



This past Saturday, October 8, 2011, I spontaneously decided to attend a concert at The Beacham in Orlando. My friends and I were headed downtown early in the day to attend a Florida State Football watch party at OneEyed Jack’s on Wall Street. As we walked to the bar from our car we saw the rock band Thrice was going to play that evening.
I was pretty excited because I like the band and did not have any Saturday night plans. I checked on my smart phone to see if there were any tickets available and there were! I purchased two tickets straight from my phone; it is amazing how convenient technology makes things.
The show began at 5:30, but I arrived at 6:30. The evening was very rainy so I was glad the venue was indoors. There were three opening bands that I had never heard of. Honestly, I could have showed up at nine and skipped all of the opening bands; I was not impressed. The sound was awful for the opening bands. I could not make out the lyrics. My theory is either they used their own sound equipment or held their mouth to close to the microphone.
When Thrice came on the stage the crowd went wild. The sound was very clear. They played music mostly from their new album and the one directly before it. For their encore they played songs that I used to listen to in high school. It was nice to reminisce. I have included a photo that I took at the concert.
Overall I enjoyed the concert. The Beacham reminded me of an old theatre because of the intricate ceiling crown molding and ceiling art. There was a bar in the lobby and the back of the venue. One interesting thing to note is there was a bathroom attendant there to sell random items and hand out paper towels. This particular woman did not look too happy when I was there and seemed as if she was ready for a nap.
The venues location is downtown Orlando next to The Social. My only complaint was smoking was allowed inside the venue. This particular genre of music usually attracts chain smokers. If you can get past second hand smoke, I would recommend seeing a show at this venue. It’s small enough to allow everyone to see and hear the music but large enough if you want to stay out of the mosh pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment