Sunday, April 3, 2011

Spring Fiesta in the Park


Today was a beautiful day in Orlando, Florida to attend the Spring Fiesta in the Park at Lake Eola. Lake Eola is located in downtown Orlando. The "Fiesta" was an outdoor event that included vendors of all types. This event was very pet and kid friendly. It is really a great event for all ages. There is something for everyone. Not only could you walk around and enjoy the vendors, you could sit on a bench and enjoy the beautiful lake and its wild life. I was very fortunate to witness some nesting black swans. The swans were in a roped off area and more then half their eggs had hatched.


If you are a swan lover, you are in luck. They are everywhere, black and white. Not only can you view them you can ride one! Not a real one, but a swan boat! I have not had a chance to do it myself, but it looks like a lot of fun. The cost is around fifteen dollars a half an hour.

Examples of what the vendors sold were handmade jewelry, art, clothing, food, plants, and hand made soaps. Also a lot of local non-profit agencies were out explaining their causes. My personal favorite was the pet adoption agencies. There were so many adorable puppies they’re awaiting their new home. 
You could purchase your puppy for only two hundred and fifty dollars. That price included everything, even their required new puppy shots.




I spent time walking around the "Fiesta" checking out each individual booth and I have narrowed down my top ten favorites:


1. An artist named Donna Lockhart exhibited her abstract art; she calls her company "Impulse Art." I personally wanted to buy a piece. She used a wide array of colors and I felt her work was very expressive. I have included a picture. If you are interested in getting in touch with her, her e-mail is dlockhart6cfl.rr.com.
2. Pati Pati Imports LLC is known for their African Imports. The owner Liz Schafer creates homemade sandals made out of leather and old tires. They are very cute! The best part of the purchase is that ten percent of the proceeds go to a food drive in Africa. If you would like to get a pair you can visit their website or send an e-mail to patipatiimports@yahoo.com.
3. Sealife Creation was a very cool booth. This booth sold blown glass sculptures with real jellyfish inside. They were naturally bright colors and glow in the dark. No jellyfish were harmed in this creation. I was talking to the artist and he was telling me that he gets the jellyfish from a marine biologist he knows in Pensacola, Florida. These are jellyfish that "passed away" from natural causes. These sculptures would make a great conversation piece. If you want to purchase one for yourself or just check them out look at the artists website.
4. It was around lunchtime so I decided to visit the Jerk Shack. They do catering and have a mobile restaurant. At this booth you can choose a jerk pork or chicken sandwich or a boat. I went for the boat. The jerk pork boat included meat on top of coconut rice and beans. It was delicious. You can choose a sweet or hot sauce for your food. Some of the proceeds go to the Orlando track club. If you see this mobile restaurant, get a bite to eat.
5. If you like plants, but always kill them Tree Mon is the booth for you. Dale Bartlett creates tree sculptures out of wire. I have included a picture.
6. 02 Breathe, LLC's booth had a very interesting concept. They had set up a mobile oxygen bar. Just check out the website.
7. Ever thought about a cool craft you can do with glass blocks? Sherry's Creations did. She has painted designs on the front of glass and put Christmas lights on the back. My personal favorite was the Florida State Seminole head. If your interested in one or just want more information you can e-mail Sherry at LoveSherrysCreations@yahoo.com.
8. If you are looking for jewelry that sports your favorite team, check out Stephanie Mellor's Themed Wearable Art. My favorites were the bottle caps with sports teams emblem hanging on a necklace.
9. Are you a hippie at heart? Half Breed Creations had hand made jewelry and incense. I picked myself up a few boxes that smelt delicious. Their e-mail is nativeamjewlery.com
10. Do you stink? If so, Winter Park Soap Company can help. They sell handcrafted soaps that smell so good.
Above I have only listed ten booths. There were so many I didn't mention. Below I have included some more photographs of the event. 
If you didn't get to check it out, go to it next year. Also, every Sunday Lake Eola hosts a farmer's market. This market is a smaller scale of the event I attended today.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing grassroots reporting! Chennel is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have been there! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete