Sunday, August 14, 2011

Behind the Scenes


Sunday August 14, 2011 was my first day as a tour guide at Behind the Scenes at Full Sail University. Full Sail puts on this event once a month to show prospective students what the school has to offer. It is basically an informational fair on steroids. Prospective students and their parents and spouses from all over the country, and maybe farther, flock to Full Sail to attend. I took this tour back in October 2010 when I was considering Full Sail and it is basically what sold me. Once I finished the tour I know immediately that it was the school for me and I was ready to go apartment hunting.
From a prospective students point of view Full Sail showcases all the bells and whistles. You want nothing more than to attend this school. You are first taken into a sound stage where The Daily Buzz is filmed. The students and faculty put on a show using all of their expensive high tech cameras and monitors. Even though I was interested in the business program, I found this enchanting and thus I became interested in the school.  Next you’re broken off into our specific degree programs. Once in groups, you’re taken to a few classrooms where teachers and faculty members speak about what the programs offered. Next stop is the venue, Full Sail Live. What takes place here is another show where they pull out all the stops; the President of Full Sail also told an inspirational story.  Once finished you walk to the fair where everyone is fed and has the opportunity to talk to the friendly admissions representatives who were ready to sign you up.
Now that I am a student I have no regrets. Since this event at Full Sail had such a positive impression on me, I wanted to get involved. Don’t get me wrong; I wanted the opportunity to make some cold hard cash as well. On Saturday I assisted in the set up. I basically helped put out chairs and move furniture. It was a pretty easy gig. I showed up Sunday ready to give the tours. I was a little nervous because I wasn’t sure what tour I would be giving; I was very much hoping to give the business tour since I was familiar with the program. And I got it!
I was so impressed with how organized the event ran. I have studied event planning and assisted with a few myself so I pay attention to details. Everything was planned down to the minute. The tour that I explained above that I did back in October was run six times on Sunday! I was fortunate to be partnered up with a very nice girl who had done the tours a few times before. She was more than willing to show me the ropes. By the third tour I was holding the sign and leading the tour on my own. The speeches that the teachers and faculty members gave were obviously canned, because they were similar to the speeches I heard almost a year ago. But let me tell you, they were impressive and still inspirational to me. If you love entertainment of any kind and are interested in business, you are crazy to not be at least a little intrigued with this school.
Not only did the event run smoothly like clockwork, they treated the student tour guides very well. They fed us and gave us plenty of downtime. The event was a success, full of smiles from everyone. I am looking forward to assisting with this event again in the future


Images:
Web. 14 Aug 2011. <http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/03/prweb797844.htm>.

No comments:

Post a Comment